Selling your home can be a stressful task, from dealing with buyers and interviewing real estate agents, to packing and moving. First impressions count with buyers. So preparing your home using 10 of our quick, inexpensive, simple tricks will help you get started.
- Home Odors – This is a large concern because homeowners become desensitized to the odors that exist in their home. You can look up some online tips from the web to help get rid of specific odors or just to deodorize your home in general.
- Mice, Rats, Roaches, Spiders or Bees – Any kind of infestation can become a major problem when trying to sell your home. If you have any signs that show a possibility of an infestation (or even a nuisance problem) contact a local pest control agency to have them eliminated as soon as possible.
- Carpet and Flooring – This in one of the most visible areas of your home. You want to make sure your flooring is in clean and good shape. Make any necessary repairs, and if possible replace any flooring in small areas with high quality materials. This small change can bring in premium offers.
- Exterior Painting and Polishing – Painting your front door and mailbox can give your home a fresh look. You also want to make sure to touch up the exterior paint if you’re unable to paint the entire home. Also polishing up your entry hardware, like locks, doorknobs, and address numbers can give the home a nice shine.
- Yards and Sidewalks – Make sure you have a clean yard. Remove any leaves from your yard and walkways. Also make sure your driveways and sidewalks are clean of any grease stains. Keep any shrubbery or trees trimmed, keep the lawn cut, and maybe plant a few new flowers.
- Organize the Garage – Be sure to get rid of clutter, pack it away in boxes or rent out a storage locker for your garage belongings. And this may seem silly, but keep your cars washed and clean. This helps the buyer get a sense that the home has been well maintained.
- Cleaning Your Home – Make sure to give your home a thorough cleaning. Shampoo carpets, clean your appliances in all the rooms, and freshen up the bathrooms.
- Knick-Knacks and Personal Items – Packing away personal items and knick-knacks is always a good idea. You don’t want a buyer to feel like they would not fit in your home because it is so personal to you.
- Interior Maintenance – Walk through your home and make sure you oil any squeaky doors, tighten any doorknobs, replace light bulbs, clean and repair all windows and make sure to repair any leaky faucets and toilets.
- Realtor Representation – Protect your investment and hire a realtor. There are many things you need to know to complete a successful sale. Realtors are key when it comes to making sure that you have done all that you need to do to protect yourself as the seller. Selling your home is one of the most important transactions you will make.
If you’d like more information on how to prepare your home for listing, contact us. We have a reputation for getting your house on the market and getting it sold, fast.
Keeping It Real,
The Cloninger Properties Team